Saturday, December 22, 2012

Graveyard and terrain boards

I picked up a second bunch of tombstones at the club on Tuesday (thanks Scott and Terry) and put them together last night. The GW tombstones had their skulls cut off (great little pieces but what a pain in the ass to de-GWify them) and bases fashioned, so they would stand up as well as match the integral bases of the Hallowe'en tombstones. A quick bit of paint, some flock and done.


Here they are inside the wall of the graveyard--starting to get a nice effect! I have a matching grass mat that I will cut to fit when I get the gaming board further long.


Speaking of which, I have the board ready with base colours painted on. This is 41x48" and pulls apart into two 2x4 pieces for transport. You can't see it in the photo but I have sketched on sidewalks, gutter and indicated crosswalks. There is more painting to do to make the sidewalk and crosswalks look proper. Then the whole thing will get a brown wash to dirty it up.


In my mind, the centre area can be a factory and yard, a park, a stockyard or a cemetery while buildings would populate the edges. I have two buildings built and bought 15 more (a railway starter kit) to build this winter.

Up next: Some 15mm cavalry are primed and ready to start. Also likely some more work on the terrain boards and maybe I'll get a building underway.

2 comments:

fireymonkeyboy said...

Are the headstones metal or plastic? I seem to recall they used to have metal ones, but these look different - nice work on them too.

Bob Barnetson said...

Thanks for your note. The GW tombstones (rounded top)are plastic. Good thing too as the skulls would have been hard the sap off they were metal!