Saturday, February 4, 2017

Win the battle, lose the Punic Wars

Bruce and I continued our Punic Wars campaign this week. First up was a battle before the gates of Rome. The Carthaginians must put a stand on top of the sheep marker within 10 turns in order to win.


The scenario required the Roman baggage train to be forward (ambush!) meaning I needed to screen it. But the set-up area was such that I had to refuse both wings to protect my forward troops' flanks. Only good news was I got to place the woods.


Given the time and card constraints, Bruce mostly advanced on the Roman left. We had quite the cavalry battle as we waited for the elephants to get into contact.


In the end, I managed to make some lucky card plays and broke enough of his units on the table top that he ran out of time. So back to the campaign map we went.


Here, things went less well. I had made an early economic error (too many boats!) in the hope of a quick siege of Carthage and could never quite match Bruce's ability to field troops and wander through Italy.


I ended up taking some chances with my troops to try and undermine his economy. Then southern Italy revolted and I had to go clean that up and Hannibal snuck in and sacked Rome. What a horror show.


I'd totally play this again and we're going to. Great campaign engine. Truly a strategic take on the Punic Wars.

2 comments:

Prufrock said...

Looks interesting. What's the boardgame, if I may ask? And what rules are you using for the battles, Aurelian?

A shame to lose Rome, but sometimes you just have to take a risk!

Cheers, Aaron

Bob Barnetson said...

Aurelian for miniatures. The Punic Wars is the board game. It is fairly old (70s/80s) but has nice simple mechanics. Very strategic with both economic and diplomatic components.